Top Lawyer, Admiralty and Maritime Law, South Florida Legal Guide, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Top Lawyers in South Florida, South Florida Legal Guide, 2012
Top Lawyers in South Florida, South Florida Legal Guide, 2017
United States District Court, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Admiralty & Maritime
- Products Liability
- Longshore & Harbor Workers' Compensation Act
- Insurance Defense
- Commercial Litigation
University of Miami, College of Engineering (BSEE, 1990)
Raúl Chacón Jr.
Phone Number : (305) 372-9044
Fax Number : (305) 372-5044
Vcard: Download Here
200 S. Biscayne Blvd
Miami, FL 33131
View A Location Map
RAÚL J. CHACÓN JR. is the Managing Partner with the Miami office of The Chartwell Law Offices, LLP. Mr. Chacón’s practice focuses primarily on defense of clients (individual and commercial) in a variety of marine matters, which involve personal injury, products liability, premises liability, and commercial litigation issues.
He is regularly appointed to act as national and local counsel by insurance companies on marine products liability matters and has represented clients geographically from jurisdictions as far north as Canada, throughout the Continental U.S., Hawaii, Caribbean and South America. Mr. Chacón has also been retained as outside general counsel by various companies to provide guidance in a wide variety of non-litigation and litigation related matters. He has tried numerous cases to verdict in the state and federal courts of Florida.
Mr. Chacón graduated from the University of Miami, College of Engineering, with a B.S.E.E. in 1990, and earned his law degree from the University of Miami in 1993. He is admitted to the Florida Bar, United States District Court for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, and the United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit.
Mr. Chacón is AV© Preeminent rated. He has been recognized by Super Lawyers, Top Lawyers in Florida (Admiralty & Maritime Law), Top Rated Lawyer (Commercial Litigation), Top Attorneys in Florida and the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers.
Mr. Chacón is also a member of, and has served in executive capacities for, the Florida Bar Maritime Law Committee, Florida Bar Admiralty & Maritime Law Board Certification Committee, The Cuban American Bar Association, The League of Prosecutors, and The Florida Chapter of Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
Mr. Chacón is an adjunct professor on Marine Insurance Law at the University of Miami, School of Law. He has been published and has presented on various topics, including maritime law and practice, handling maritime claims in the U.S., management of maintenance and cure, risk shifting in maritime contracts, products liability and analysis of U.S. Supreme Court decisions.
Professional AssociationsChair, Maritime Law Committee, Florida Defense Lawyers Association
Admiralty Law Committee, Florida Bar, 2007 – Present
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 1988 – Present
Vice-President, 2011; Director, 2005-2011, Cuban American Bar Association
President, 2010 – 2011; Director, 2005 – Present, League of Prosecutors
Chair, 2010 – 2011; Commissioner, 2006 – 2011, Judicial Campaign Practices Commission
Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, 1999- Present
Chair, 2012; Member, 2010 – Present, The Florida Bar, 11th Cir. Grievance Committee
Fellow, The Florida Bar Foundation, 2009 – Present
American Bar Association, 1997 – Present
Dade County Bar Association, 1997 – Present
Board of Trustees, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, 2007 – 2010
Director, University of Miami, College of Engineering Alumni Association, 2012-Present
Admirality & Maritime Law Certification Committee, Florida Bar, 2013-Present
Boating Industry Risk Management Council for the National Marine Manufacturers Association, Board Member
Chair, Florida Bar Admiralty Board Cert Committee
Vice Chair, Maritime Law Committee
Board of Directors for the BoatPAC
- "Snake Oil" - Now Available in Cream Form!
- Defense Beats Boaters After Boat Engine Falls OffCelia Ampel, Daily Business Review April 6, 2016 The case seemed pretty cut-and-dried at first. A family of five...
- Boat Wake Damage LiabilityBy Raúl Chacón and John C. Scarborough, Jr. Let's face it, pretty much all powerboats create a...
- What's Really In Your Marina ContractBy Charles Fort & Raul Chacon Reading a marina contract, especially the fine print, is about as...
- All That Floats is Not a Boat- The Supreme Court's Lozman Decision Makes Waves Impacting Multiple Areas of Law
- Raúl Chacón's interview on Bob's No Wake Zone Boating Radio Show Listen to the two part series interview with Raúl Chacón on Boat Wake Liability. Boat Wake Damage...
- Speaker and Moderator, Cruise Industry Seminar, 2012
- Speaker, Deposing Experts, Florida Defense Lawyers Association, 2011
- Speaker, Retaining Experts, Florida Defense Lawyers Association, 2010
- Speaker, Risk Shifting in Maritime Contracts, Chubb, 2010
- Speaker, Management of Maintenance and Cure, Chubb, 2009
- Author, Products Liability: Man, Machine and Environment of Use, August 2008.
- Speaker, Products Liability: Man, Machine and Environment Use, Chubb, 2008.
- Speaker, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Light the Night Kick-off Luncheon, July 2008.
- Speaker, Handling Maritime Claims in the United States: What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You!, 2008.
- Co-Author, “Maritime Law and Practice”, Admiralty and Maritime Jurisdiction, Fall 2008.
- Speaker, Cuban American Bar Association, Spring and Fall Mentor Programs, 2004 - 2011.
- Speaker, Florida Supreme Court Justice Raoul G. Cantero Reception, July 2007.